Articles play a vital role in English grammar. Sentences sound incomplete without the use of 'a', 'an', 'the' in the sentences. These three small simple words are called Articles.
Hence, it can be said that there are 3 articles in English language:-
Take a look at these two sentences:-
1. Pass me pen. (Incorrect)
2. Pass me a pen. (Correct)
The first sentence sounds incomplete and incorrect because of no articles in the sentence whereas the second one seems to be a complete one and gives us complete information about the sentence.
Articles can be classified as indefinite (a, an) and definite (the).
Lets take a look here.
'a pen' - refers to any pen whereas 'the pen' - refers to a specific pen.
The Artilcle 'a' becomes 'an' in front of a vowel (a,e,i,o,u). For example: an eraser, an umbrella, an inkpot, an ant.
Use of 'a''a' is used with singular countable nouns.
Use of 'an'The Article 'a' becomes 'an' infront of a vowel (a,e,i,o,u).
Use of 'the''the' is used before proper nouns.
The United Kingdom
'the' is also used before common noun and some adjectives.
• The dog is a very useful animal.
• The rich are not always happy than the poor.
OMMISION OF ARTICLES
We do not use Articles before uncountable nouns.
Lets take a look at the following examples:-
• Ben is suffering from malaria.
• He likes to speak Tamil.
• Ravi has an off from work on Monday.
• Diwali comes in October or November.
• Don’t eat more chocolates.
Worksheet on Articles:
Fill in the blanks with a, an, the where ever necessary:-
1. ___ lunch we had at ___ Taj was uncomparable.
2. Have you got ___ good book on ___ mathematics.
3. ___ rich are not always happier than ___ poor.
4. Sudha hopes to become ___ doctor or ___ engineer.
5. ___ school will shortly close for ___ Diwali break.
1. The lunch we had at the Taj was uncomparable.
2. Have you got a good book on mathematics.
3. The rich are not always happier than the poor.
4. Sudha hopes to become a doctor or an engineer.
5. The school will shortly close for Diwali break.